What is Secret Church & Why Should I Go?
What we call 'church' in America looks vastly different from the expression of church in other cultures - especially in places where church is illegal in the first place.
We praise God for the freedom we have to meet openly in buildings, to advertise our services publicly, and to worship Jesus our king loudly and without fear. The additional comforts, freedoms and programs included in the version of church that we experience here do not make it inherently better or worse than church elsewhere, but what if all of that were stripped away?
What if all we had was the Word of God and nothing else? No band, no large building, no church staff, no children's programming, no youth or college or...anything else. But we had the WORD.
Would it be enough?
This is the question that led IMB President David Platt (former pastor and author) to start something called "Secret Church," an in-depth one-night study focused on nothing but the Bible and how it comes to bear on our lives.
And, as we study the Word, we are reminded that we have millions of brothers and sisters around the globe, living under fear and persecution because of their faith, who risk their livelihood and their lives to gather and study the Book we too often take for granted. Secret Church is also a chance to remember, honor and pray for the persecuted church. Learn more about that here.
This year, the topic of Secret Church is "A Global Gospel in a World of Religions." We will look at the Word, exploring the claims of Christ in the gospel and consider how these claims inform the way we understand religions in the world and impact the way we live when surrounded by varied believers with diverse belief systems. We will address questions like:
- So how are we to think and what are we to do in this massive marketplace of religious ideas?
- Is there one right way to believe or are there many right ways to believe?
- Is there one right way to live or are there many right ways to live?
- Specifically, how does the gospel of Christ compare and contrast with other world religions?
- And if we believe this gospel, then how should we share it specifically with people of other faiths?
- For that matter, why would we share it specifically with people of other faiths?
when: Friday, April 29 6:30 PM - 12:30 AM
where: Watkinsville First Baptist Life Building
cost: $7 (pay online or at the door)
- your fee includes a workbook and access to very tasty coffee (Jittery Joes)
- Register here: